Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Sunset Mandala ~ Free Pattern

I’ve been having fun making mandalas.  First with WW crochet cotton, and most recently WW acrylics. Doing some stash busting, so I am!  LOL  I quite often “do my own thing”, and this particular time I decided to write it down to share.  I know a lot of people seem to be enjoying making mandalas.  They seem to be quite popular these days.  So, this is one that I came up with on my own.  Nothing fancy, mind you, but I do like how it turned out. I named it “Sunset Mandala” because of the colors I used in this first one. The colors remind me of a gorgeous sunset!
SAM_1927-001
Then I went on to make three more in different color schemes.  The possibilities are endless!
SAM_1926-001
SAM_1928-001
SAM_1925-001
SAM_1929-001
SAM_1931-001
So, without further ado, here is my pattern for the Sunset Mandala. (Note: I am not a professional pattern writer, nor do I pretend to be. I just wanted to share with anybody who would like to try the pattern. I have tried to make the directions clear, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask. Or, if you have a suggestion as to how to make any portion of the directions more clear, feel free to contact me as well.)
Sunset Mandala
by Rita Lippert ~ 2014
1: Ch 8, join to form circle.  Make 16 sc in circle.
2: Dc, ch 1 in each sc around.
3: 2dc cluster, ch 2 in each ch 1 sp around.
4: 2 sc in top of each cluster, and in each ch 2 sp around.
5: Sc in first st, ch 3, skip 3 sc, sc in next sc, ch 3 around.
6: 3 dc, ch 2 in each ch 3 space around.
7: Sc in each dc,  2 elongated sc in unworked sc of round 5, around.
8: Hdc in each sc around.
9: Hdc in between each hdc around.
10: Sc in first st, ch 3, sk 2 st, sc in next st, ch 3, around.
11: In each ch 3 space work sl st, ch 3, 3 dc, ch 3, sl st.

7 comments:

  1. They're gorgeous Rita - you certainly have an eye for putting colors together. Thanks for sharing your pattern with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marvelous and wonderul, simple but royal, congratulations,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rita, They are so pretty and sweet looking mandalas !!:) I agree with Debi that you put the colors together very well. I always struggle with color combination and most of the time I feel I could have used some other color. Mere change of colors gives a different look to the design. Thank you for sharing the pattern !!:)
    The pattern is very clear but since you have asked for suggestion, then from a beginner's perspective you may want to add a stitch detail for cluster and elongated sc. Either add separately or just insert a link to tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Just one question, are these used the same as doilies? Thanks for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very bright and fun! :) Thank you for sharing your pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rita i agree with what preeti says like do you have to chain two or three before starting on the next round. And to mention at the end of a round could you say how many stitches their should be at the end of that round. They are very pretty.

    ReplyDelete