Monday, October 31, 2011

Pink and Orange Patchwork Afghan

This is what I’ve been working on for the last week or so.  I finished the first patchwork and wanted to make another one using pinks and oranges.  Went through my stash of partially used skeins of yarn, and this is what I came up with.  I am not 100% happy with it, as I don’t really like the order of the colors.  I actually mapped this one out and followed my diagram for color placement.  I think I like random placement of colors better. I think next time I need to use an odd number of squares (from the bottom up) instead of six.  Then maybe the colors wouldn’t come out in such a “severe” pattern. I’ll have to check it out and see. Oh well, this one is made and I’m sure not going to tear it apart and start over! ;)IMG_6930-1


The edging:IMG_6937

The diagram I used.  Obviously, it’s nothing fancy.  I did it freehand and used crayons. :D Didn’t event take the time to write neatly.  LOLIMG_6947

Close up shots of the little embellishments I added to it.



Friday, October 28, 2011

Royal Mail for Me!! :D

It was an exciting mail day today!  The mailman brought me this wonderful bag of yarn from the UK!  Thanks to Neicee’s post for alerting me to the fact that I could get all this gorgeous yarn for a decent price…and shipped to me for free! I ordered this on October 20th and it was in my mailbox today, October 28th.  Now that is some fast service!  Thank you, Neicee, for being a wonderful enabler! ;) :)IMG_6799-1


Just look at all of these GORGEOUS colors!  :D










Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Patchwork Afghan

This is my latest crochet endeavor, and I must say it was an enjoyable one. So much so that I am planning on making another one or two.  Figure I can use some leftover yarns with this pattern.  I got the idea to do this from this blog post.  I’m not sure if I did it exactly as instructed, but whatever I did seemed to work well for me…so I am happy about that.  :)  This afghan is approx. 30”x30”.  I started it Friday evening and finished it late this afternoon.  It worked up quite quickly.  Joining squares this way is perfect for me.  I get too impatient making squares first and then having to join them later.  Joining as you go suits me just fine. :)

For the edging I just did my own thing…a row of dc and then a row of dc with a picot every five stitches.




Thursday, October 20, 2011

Camo Round Ripple

You might recall this post of mine from about a month ago. I am happy to report that I finished this afghan late this afternoon. Just in time to start on a new project this weekend when I am dog/house sitting once again!  :D  It’s not a terribly large afghan…I’d call it “child size”.  :)IMG_6479-1


A close-up of the edging.  I did one row of single crochet and then one row of reverse single crochet.


Saturday, October 15, 2011

Owl Applique

I whipped up this cute little owl applique last night.  Taking it to Adelyn this evening. Her mommy will attach it to a hair clip. The pattern can be bought at EverLaughter.  I see his one little tootsie is hiding.  LOL  I also need to use a smaller hook for the eye part.  But for a first attempt I think he turned out pretty cute. :)Owl applique

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Hats for Clayton, Adelyn, Pandy & Baby Doll

A few days ago I got it in my head that I was going to make hats for Clayton and Adelyn.  After I made their hats, I thought it would be fun to make a hat for each of their favorite “buddies”.  Clayton is his panda bear, named Pandy, and I wasn’t sure which buddy of Adelyn’s would don the hat, but I figured it would be one of her many baby dolls.  I got to visit the kids last night, and give them the hats.  They both seemed tickled with what Gramma Rita had made. :)

If you’d like to make this hat, you can find the pattern here.

Adelyn’s hat:


Clayton’s hat:


Clayton (with Pandy) and Adelyn (with baby doll) modeling their hats.


Clayton had fun with his hat.  ;D


Saturday, October 1, 2011

Ribbon Baby Afghan

Earlier this week I discovered this blog post at The Adventures of the Gingerbread Lady.  I was so excited by this pattern.  So many color combos…including using scrap yarns…were going through my head.  I checked out my stash and found these five colors of Simply Soft yarns, and thought they’d work nicely for this pattern. Since I didn’t have a lot of the yarn (less than one whole skein of the colors) I decided a baby afghan would be nice.  Turns out I actually have some yarn leftover!  LOL  Anyway, I just had to share this with you, as well as the Gingerbread Lady’s post. It is a fun pattern and works up very quickly.  :)